Two ways to get involved: volunteer and executive
The role of the volunteer is to keep the shop open and assist Bike Root members with fixing their own bicycles. Common responsibilities include opening and closing the shop, processing all cash AND card transactions through the Square app on the shop iPad, and signing up new members on the shop iPad. No experience needed; just a willingness to learn and to not be afraid to admit when there is something you do not know. The more volunteers we have, the more we can be open to serve both the campus community and beyond to grow the cycling culture in Calgary!
Bike Root is seeking to fulfill several positions by current undergrad students of U of C. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to indicate your interest. If you think you have something to contribute that is not listed here, feel free to let us know!
• Sets a consistent weekly schedule and updates shop hours on the website
• Contacts volunteers weekly to confirm their availability that week
• Arranges internal events to strengthen the cohesion of the team (executive meals, events)
• Responsible for the continued success of the annual Spring Bike Sale in MacHall
• Builds on the success of previous events and leads the creation of new events in line with Bike Root’s mission
VP Group Ride Events:
• Builds community through organizing and leading frequent group rides for varying skill levels
• Seeks opportunities to engage potential members, those already members, and volunteers/executives
VP External Events:
• Works with outside organizations to represent Bike Root in the community through our mobile setup
• Can include major events like the Folk Music Festival, or community-level setups at local malls, containR, etc.
• Must be able to pull the Bike Root trailer with your own bike (connects through a custom quick-release)
• Updates details on website including executive bios
• Responds to emails and social media inquiries
• Shares shop hours to social media (set by VP Internal) and cycling related content
• Sends +/- monthly newsletter emails to volunteers highlighting key events coming up, ways to get involved, etc.
• Responsible for keeping inventory of new parts in stock
• Seeks opportunities to sell excess parts and finished bikes through Kijiji, Marketplace, Letgo, etc.