1. Notify the Police
- Report your stolen bike by calling the Calgary Police Department non-emergency line (403-266-1234) or visit a district office.
2. Notify the cycling community about the theft, including Bike Root, The Good Life, & Bike Calgary.
- become a member of Bike Calgary and be logged in to submit a report found on their website.
- Please note that this submission system is meant to be a supplement to the police report, and not a replacement for it.
- Your listing will be added to Bike Calgary’s Stolen Bike Gallery and posted on the Stolen Bikes YYC Twitter and Stolen Bikes YYC Facebook Page.
- Add your bike theft to the BikeMaps.org page. You can also add bike accident reports here.
3. Check online classifieds to see if your bike is posted for sale.
- Try looking through ebay, craigslist, Kijiji‘s bicycle forums to see if your bike is being sold. There are also bike-specific listings, such as pinkbike.
4. Spread the word. Let the world know that your bike has been stolen!
- Try posting a wanted ad on the classified sites listed above
- post your stolen bike on Bike Root’s facebook page, or tweet @bikeroot and @bikecalgary with hashtags #stolenbike and #yycbike with a link to your stolen bike report
Document your bike. Make sure to have on file, in a safe place:
- the serial number of your bicycle (click here to learn how to find your serial number)
- proof of ownership such as sales receipt or repair receipts.
Lock your bike.
- Use a good lock, preferably a U-Lock.
- Always lock your bike, even if you are only going to be gone a few minutes.
- Lock your bike to something secure and sturdy, preferably a bike rack. Busy public places are usually a good choice when locking your bike.
- Store your bike inside your home or workplace when possible. Do not leave your bike in a shared area of an apartment building unlocked.
Insure and register your bike.
- If you own an expensive bike, inquire to see if your home insurance covers bike theft and under what conditions, or consider other insurance options.
- Register your bike at Bike Index and Bike Shepherd. If your bike is stolen, these websites you to report it as stolen and and will help in bike recovery.
- If you own a Kryptonite lock, make sure to register your lock and keys. Some of their locks come with insurance for your bike if it is stolen. http://www.kryptonitelock.com/